[R] Compiling R with multi-threaded BLAS math libraries - why not actually ?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Jun 12 19:09:22 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Tal Galili <tal.galili at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Douglas,
>
> Thank you for the BLAST!=BLAS correction (I imagine my slip was due to some
> working I have done recently with an RNA analysis software called BLAST).
>
> Also, thank you for the very interesting posting here and in your reply to
> David's post.
>
> My current conclusion from this thread are that:
> 1) This should be interesting ONLY if I will be working on large matrices
> and doing "very specific
> kinds of operations". (I imagine David's examples on his post demonstrate
> those)
> 2) In case I would like to do it, I will need to go follow the actions
> detailed here (thank you for the pointer):
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#Can-I-use-a-fast-BLAS_003f
> And more or less pray that my computer specification are relevant.
> <http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#Can-I-use-a-fast-BLAS_003f>(Although
> I do wonder how does REvolution distribution succeeds in doing this without
> making the user do any more steps then just installing R)

 Another option if you discover that your algorithm benefits from
massive parallelism is computing on the GPU. There are BLAS
implementations, for examples:

http://gpgpu.org/index.php?s=BLAS&searchbutton=Search

 but integration with R is another issue (and I have a vague memory it
was covered in threads on R-dev recently, which is probably where this
thread should be anyway).

Barry