[R] Get a list of installed commands

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 13:47:55 CEST 2010

Hi,

Take a look at any of the R-editors, like Tinn-R, Emacs-ESS, Eclipse
with StatET,... They contain lists you can use. Also the listings
package of LaTeX contains a wordlist for R.

Getting all installed commands out of R is not doable with a single
command as far as I know. R works completely different than Stata; R
is a fullblown programming language, not a statistical program. Try to
find a list of all installed Perl commands for example...

Attached is the recognition file of Tinn-R. Reserved 1 are special
keywords, Reserved 2 is a list of the most commonly used commands in
the pre-installed packages, and Reserved 3 is a list of common
parameters of those functions. It's submitted with Tinn-R under the
GNU license, so keep that in mind when using it.

But instead of re-inventing the wheel and constructing your own
editor, you could take a look at one of those mentioned above. On
Windows, I recommend Tinn-R for daily scripting, and Eclipse for
developing packages and the likes. Both offer the advantage of direct
communication with the R console.

Cheers
Joris

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Data Monkey <coco.datamonkey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty new to R, but have experience with other languages, both OO and scripting.
>
> I'm trying to add support for R to my text editor of choice and to do this I need a list of installed commands I can markup with XML.
> I'd then simply feed in the marked up list into my text editor's library and I'm off.
>
> I've done this in Stata before using the following command:
> getcmds using "~/Desktop/StataCommands.txt"
>
> Does anyone know of a way to do this in R?
>
> Any pointers much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant