[R] Boxplot intervals combining names

RCulloch ross.culloch at dur.ac.uk
Sun Jun 13 15:40:19 CEST 2010

Hi R users,

This seems like a simple problem but I have searched nabble for the answer
and can't seem to find it.

All I want to do is produce a boxplot where I have two boxes for one
Individual but on the xaxis I only have one tick mark centred between the
boxes so I can add the Individuals' name. I have 30 IDs and have shown the
code I use below for a couple of IDs, I figure the data is not important
here so it's not included.

boxplot (ID1[,8],ID1[,9],ID2[,8],ID2[,9],xaxt='n')

I have put all the ID names in as 'names1'

and I have tried numerous variations on axis, e.g.

axis(1,at=1:30,labels=names1)

but nothing works: the boxplot appears to 'know' that there are 60 tick
marks (data) and therefore only puts ticks half way up the graph, and using:

axis(1,at=1:30,labels=names1)

complains that there is a difference of length, which of course there is!

I must be missing something simple here, but any suggestions would be
gratefully received,

Ross