[R] Package testing

Gábor Csárdi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Tue Jun 15 15:39:34 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I would like to write some tests for my R package, and the usual
'tests' directory seemed like a good solution, but there is something
I cannot understand.

It is possible to supply .Rout.save files with the expected output for
the tests, which is great. But since the tests are not run with R
--slave, the expected output needs to contain all the extra output
from R, e.g. the startup message. The commands are echoed to the
output, too.

This makes it difficult to write proper tests, as they will
necessarily fail on all but one R versions (the version number is
always part of the output), and one would need to write the test
programs twice, once in the normal .R file, and once in the .Rout.save
file.

Is there a way to work around these things? Or am I trying to use the
'tests' directory for something that was not intended?

Best Regards,
Gabor

--
Gabor Csardi <Gabor.Csardi at unil.ch>     UNIL DGM