[R] Graphics question: How to create a changing "smudge factor" for overlapping lines?

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Tue Jun 15 15:46:10 CEST 2010

> The glitches are the cases where you would have a bundle of lines belonging
> to a specific cluster, but had spaces between them (because the place of one
> of the lines was saved for another line that in the meantime moved to
> another cluster).

I think that display looked just fine!

> I just came up with a solution for how to resolve this (After showering, it
> tends to help my thinking...) - it is attached at the bottom of this e-mail.
> I will later cleanup the code a bit and publish it.

I'd also suggest reordering the lines within each cluster mean so that
(e.g.) all the lines going from 1a to 2a are all in the same position
(i.e. at the top of the bundle of lines, not interspersed throughout).

And again, think about using the colour for something useful, maybe
the value of the variable that you're averaging over to get the y
position.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/