[R] Question

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Wed Jun 16 21:17:22 CEST 2010

Since there is a simple closed form for the truncated exponential CDF,
you can use inverse transform sampling. I believe this is quite common
in survival analysis methods. The first step is to compute and write an
R function to compute the inverse CDF for the truncated exponential,
say

itexp <- function(u, m, t) { -log(1-u*(1-exp(-t*m)))/m }

where u is the quantile, m is the rate, and t is the level of
truncation. Next, we draw from the truncated exponential with something
like

rtexp <- function(n, m, t) { itexp(runif(n), m, t) }

Check it out with

texp <- rtexp(10000,1,pi)
hist(texp)
summary(texp)