[R] Help asked for automated generation of ncdf variables

Adolf STIPS adolf.stips at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Jun 16 17:53:56 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm using the "ncdf" library for creating ncdf files.
But I need to create about 100 variables per file (e.g. single rivers),
So I do not like to create each variable separately.

Unfortunately I found no way to make this work, as I'm unable to create a
correct list of class "var.ncdf".

###code piece
river=list(mode='var.ncdf', length=nriv)
#class(river)="var.ncdf"

for ( iriv in 1:nriv) {
 nam=paste('r',iriv, collapse=NULL,sep="")

 riv= var.def.ncdf(nam,"m**3/s",d1,msvf,longname=names[iriv],prec="single")
 #class(river[iriv]) ="var.ncdf"
 river[iriv] = riv
 }

ncw=create.ncdf(wfile,list(river))

###This is failing by warning first (which I do not understand):
1: In river[iriv] = riv :
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length
2: In river[iriv] = riv :
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length

###And finally with following error:
Error in var.add.ncdf(nc, vars[[ivar]], verbose = verbose, indefine = TRUE)
:
  var.add.ncdf: passed var NOT of class var.ncdf! The second arg to
var.add.ncdf must be the return value from a call to var.def.ncdf

### Or folling error if class(river)="var.ncdf" is not commented:
Error in 1:nd : argument of length 0

Does anybody know how to achieve this correct (how to create a correct list
of class "var.ncdf"?) that would be understood by create.ncdf (I really
tried many different things)

Thanks for any hints, Adolf

Adolf Stips (new email: adolf.stips at jrc.ec.europa.eu)
Global Environment Monitoring unit
CEC Joint Research Centre, TP 272
I-21027 Ispra, Italy
Tel: +39-0332-789876
Fax: +39-0332-789034
I know that I do not know, but even that not for sure!