[R] Sampling with replacement

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Jun 17 10:20:35 CEST 2010

On 06/17/2010 03:27 AM, Somnath Somnath wrote:
> Thanks for all those reply. Is there any general rule to determine how many
> samples I would get from a population of size "n", I draw a sample of size
> "m" ("m" may be greater than "n") if sample is drawn with replacement?

Hi Somnath,
If you mean "how many unique values", I think this is the "occupancy"
problem that is discussed in:

Feller, W. (1950) An introduction to probability theory and its
applications (Vol 1). New York: Wiley.

and probably other places. You can calculate the probability of
obtaining each possible number of outcomes using the Maxwell-Botlzmann
distribution.

Jim