[R] Multiple plots in a single page and stripplot()

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 11:06:17 CEST 2010

Hi Lars

Stripplot is defunct in R 2.10 and following releases, so I wonder a
bit why you would still insist on using it. Your code will not be
compatible with newer R versions, so I suggest you use stripchart
instead (and maybe update your R as well).

Cheers
Joris

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Lars Karlsson
<larsmkarlsson.53 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to make a 2x2 plot on a single page, using stripplot() and boxplot().
> I tried the following two alternatives with mfrow() and layout(), but none
> of them worked.
>
> library(lattice)
> par(mfrow=c(2,2))
> boxplot(X1 ~ Y, data=tst1, horizontal=T, las=1)
> boxplot(X2 ~ Y, data=tst1, horizontal=T, las=1)
> stripplot(Y ~ X1, data=tst1)
> stripplot(Y ~ X2, data=tst1)
> par(mfrow=c(1,1))
>
> nf <- layout(matrix(c(1,2,3,4), 2, 2, byrow=TRUE))
> layout.show(nf)
> boxplot(X1 ~ Y, data=tst1, horizontal=T, las=1)
> boxplot(X2 ~ Y, data=tst1, horizontal=T, las=1)
> stripplot(Y ~ X1, data=tst1)
> stripplot(Y ~ X2, data=tst1)
>
> What happens is that the two plots with boxplot() appears on one page, and
> each stripplot() appears on a single page.
>
> If I use stripchart() instead of stripplot() things works as expected (a 2x2
> plot on a single page).
>
> What to do to get a 2x2 plot using stripplot()?
>

> Thanks
> Lars

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant