[R] R and LINGO?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 17 15:15:52 CEST 2010

    b> Good Evening
    b> Does anyone in the R-help list have experience writing an R wrapper that interfaces with the commercial packages LINGO and/or LINDO.api from R?

    b> I have a set of nonlinear/mixed integer problems that solve nicely with LINGO but I would like to use R to set the problems up and analyze/plot the solutions dynamaically. I have searched the archives and have not found any R packages that enable me to obtain solutions to mixed integer problems with linear and quadratic constraints.

    b> If I have missed one, we would be happy to hear which package we could consider as an alternative to LINGO.

The CRAN Task view on "Optimization",
direct link
       http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Optimization.html

mentions many many R packages -- I assume almost all really
"free" ("free" software, as in "free speech", not as in "free beer");
for "mixed integer", it specifically mentions R's interface to
"Symphony", in the "Rsymphony" package.

(It has one short section on interfaces to commercial software, "CPLEX",
 mentioned to also solve mixed integer problems)

    b> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

You are welcome!
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    b> Brwin338

    b> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]