[R] Multiple ecdf plots?

weller weller.emmons at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 22:46:28 CEST 2010

I have a csv file that has approximately 50k rows.  In the first value of
each row, a file name is listed, and there are 162 different file names.  At
the end of each row, there is a number value.  What I would like to be able
to do is for the 162 different files (or we could call them categories), is
compute the ecdf for the values within that category.  Then plot the ecdf
for each file on the same graph.  Essentially, it would look something like
http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~jtaylo/courses/stats202/R/chap3_data_exploration/iris_ecdf.png,
but instead of the 3 lines, it would show 162.  They don't have to be
different colors, and the number of records in each file category changes.
I was considering using a  matrix and adding to it via a loop, but couldn't
quite get it to work. This is what I have right now.

thwop <- read.csv("real_unmod_estimated_pI.csv", header=TRUE)
filelist <- levels(thwop$Source)
rig=matrix(nrows=162)

for (i in filelist)
{
   thug <- subset(thwop, thwop$Source == i)
   rig[i,length(ecdf(thug$Estimated.pI))]=ecdf(thug$Estimated.pI)
}
rig

Any help would be appreciated