[R] mgcv, testing gamm vs lme, which degrees of freedom?

Carlo Fezzi c.fezzi at uea.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 18:27:37 CEST 2010

Dear Simon,

thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately I am still confused about which is the correct way to test
the two models... as you point out: why in my example the two models have
the same degrees of freedom?

Intuitively it seems to me the gamm model is more flexible since, as I
understand also from you response, it should contain more random effects
than the other model because some of the smooth function parameters are
represented as such. This should not be taken into account when testing
one model vs the other?

Continuing with my example, the two models:

f2 <- gamm(y ~ s(x), random = list(id=~1), method="ML")
f3 <- gamm(y ~ x + I(x^2), random = list(id=~1), method="ML" )

Can be tested with:

anova(f3$lme,f2$lme)

But why are the df the same? Model f2 appears to be more flexible and, as
such, should have more (random) parameters. Should not a test of one model
vs the other take this into account?

Sorry if this may sound dull, many thanks for your help,

Carlo