[R] Read SPSS v 18 .sav file
larryh at udel.edu
Fri Jun 18 19:19:51 CEST 2010
Thanks. This is good to know. -- Larry
---- Original message ----
>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:36:40 -0400
>From: David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [R] Read SPSS v 18 .sav file
>To: David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net>
>Cc: Larry Hotchkiss <larryh at UDel.Edu>, r-help at r-project.org
>On Jun 18, 2010, at 10:44 AM, David Winsemius wrote:
>> On Jun 18, 2010, at 10:26 AM, Larry Hotchkiss wrote:
>>> I repeatedly get an error when trying to read an SPSS v. 18 .sav
>>> file into R.
>> No, you did not get an error message.
>>> Loading required package: foreign
>>>> femaleSPSS.dat <- read.spss("female-04-02-2010.sav")
>>> Warning message:
>>> In read.spss("female-04-02-2010.sav") :
>>> female-04-02-2010.sav: Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18
>>> encountered in system file
>>> However, read.spss works for .sav files created in older versions
>>> of spss.
>>> I did just reinstall foreign to be sure I have the latest version.
>>> Does anyone know of an update that works?
>> What makes you think it didn't work? It was _only_ a warning message
>> after all. Have you looked at femaleSPSS.dat in your workspace?
>> Had you done a search of the archives you would have found many such
>> early discussions:
>> RSiteSearch("Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in
>> system file")
>I realized looking at this that my standard operating procedure (these
>days) was to use RSiteSearch() as a way to get to the webpage, and
>then when I realize that it no longer actually looks at the archives
>of r-help to turn off all of the default settings and turn on all of
>the archive settings. I earlier tried to craft a substitute function
>that would send the site an r-help-centric request, but found that the
>search engine would not accept my guess at the correct parameters for
>the three time periods that I am generally finding useful material
>I am aware that the sos package might be a more flexible set of tools,
>but I really like the RSiteSearch format. I've just looked at the code
>and it appears the functions settings have been updated. This would do
>RSiteSearch("Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in
>system file", restrict=c("Rhelp10", "Rhelp08", "Rhelp02"),
>matchesPerPage = 100)
>And now I have the facilities to make my desired function:
>rhelpSearch <- function(string,
> restrict = c("Rhelp10", "Rhelp08", "Rhelp02",
> matchesPerPage = 100, ...)
> RSiteSearch(string=string, restrict = restrict,
>matchesPerPage = matchesPerPage, ...)
> > RHSrch("Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in
>Thanks to whomever updated RSiteSearch.
>David Winsemius, MD
>West Hartford, CT
More information about the R-help