[R] questions on some operators in R

Horace Tso Horace.Tso at pgn.com
Fri Jun 18 20:15:56 CEST 2010

Li li,

I know many S-language old timers would tell you to use <- over = for assignment. Speaking from my own painful experience of debugging S/R codes, I much much much prefer '='. In fact, I'd like to see the R language get ride of '<-' as the assignment operator.

Here is why.

> x = -5:10
 [1] -5 -4 -3 -2 -1  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10

Now I want to find elements of x which are smaller than negative 2, or -2. So naturally I'd do,

> which(x<-2)
Error in which(x <- 2) : argument to 'which' is not logical

Oops, what happened? If you look up help pages for 'which', you'd find no clue.

What occurred in the parenthesis is that you've overidden your vector x with a single value of 2, thanks to the assignment operator '<-'.

This' a big problem not just because you might end up spending hours finding out what's wrong with such innocent expression. The worst part is, you'd have lost your vector x forever. Just image if x is 1200 by 1200 matrix.

HTH.