[R] Read code from character string

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Sat Jun 19 00:44:48 CEST 2010

There are a lot of other reasons to install the fortunes package that just the one fortune, there is much wisdom, some wit, (and then there are mine) throughout the package.

There could be other ways to accomplish your goals, if you let us know more about what you are trying to do, we may be able to help you find a better way (that does not mean that you cannot still use eval and parse, but you may learn something, and/or avoid future pitfalls).

> fortune(106)

If the answer is parse() you should usually rethink the question.
   -- Thomas Lumley
      R-help (February 2005)

> fortune('106')

Personally I have never regretted trying not to underestimate my own future
stupidity.
   -- Greg Snow (explaining why eval(parse(...)) is often suboptimal, answering
      a question triggered by the infamous fortune(106))
      R-help (January 2007)

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center