[R] Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Sun Jun 20 21:49:43 CEST 2010

> I've given thought in the past to the question of estimating the R
> user base, and came to the conclusion that it is impossible to get
> an estimate of the number of users that one could trust (or even
> put anything like a margin of error to).

I find it hard to believe that it should be harder to estimate the
number of whales than the number of R users. Sure there's a
definitional problem of exactly what an R user is, but there must be
some way to come up with some useful estimates.  What about snowball
sampling with R-help as an initial frame?

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/