[R] How to predict the mean and variance of the dependent variable after regression

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 21:11:45 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Yi <liuyi.feier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Josh,
>
> Thank you very much! It is what I want!
> Because it is very obvious that the variance is not a constant in my linear
> model. So I am thinking about robust standand error. Any code works for this
> purpose in R?

I do not have much experience in this area, but I do recall reading in
Venables and Ripley (Venables, W. N. & Ripley, B. D. (2002) Modern
Applied Statistics with S. Fourth Edition. Springer, New York. ISBN
0-387-95457-0) that they have a function for fitting robust linear
models in the package that goes with their book.

library(MASS) # load the package
?rlm # look at the help documentation

> BTW, It is very nice of you to tell me how to look up the function in R.

You are welcome.  You can also find a lot of information using the
RSiteSearch() function.  It can search the mailing list archives as
well as the documentation.

> Actually I don't understand all the information from summary(linmod). I
> am looking for books for help. Please let me know, if you happen to know
> the right source for this.

There are several introductory books you could look at
http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html for a partial list.
Personally, I found Introductory Statistics with R by Peter Dalgaard
very helpful, but there are certainly others.

Best regards,

Josh