[R] Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) muenchen at utk.edu
Mon Jun 21 21:32:03 CEST 2010

>-----Original Message-----
>From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org
[mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org]
>On Behalf Of Patrick Burns
>Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 5:16 AM
>To: r-help at r-project.org
>Subject: Re: [R] Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...
>
>I think there is a problem with the
>question:  Not everyone thinks of R
>as a statistics program.  Furthermore,
>I don't think it should be thought of
>as a statistics program.
>
>(Statistics is what stuffy professors
>do, I just look at my data and try to
>figure out what it means.)

Pat,

Yes, I think that's why the Business Intelligence crowd prefers
Analytics, Data Mining, etc. The official reason may be that it combines
methods drawn from statistics, machine learning and artificial
intelligence, but I suspect the marketers really want to avoid
"statistics" as "that one class I barely survived". I debated what to
call that page and ended up using "Analytical Software". I'm not so
happy with that either. -Bob