[R] Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 22 15:06:12 CEST 2010

--- On Tue, 6/22/10, Patrick Burns <pburns at pburns.seanet.com> wrote:

> From: Patrick Burns <pburns at pburns.seanet.com>
> Subject: Re: [R] Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...
> To: "Joris Meys" <jorismeys at gmail.com>
> Cc: r-help at r-project.org

> Identifying with the most dreaded experience
> in university is not so good for "sales".

I'm not a statistician and one day at a workshop I met one of our corporate statisticians who rather reluctantly identified her discipline.  I was quite impressed. A real live statistician!  She seemed shocked. Most people apparently recoiled in shock when they heard what she did.

You may well have a point.  Also a lot of my use of R is more data manipulation and cleaning often with no more than a couple of graphs as the final output so another term makes sense.  But what should it be?