[R] New errors with difftime()-objects in 2.11.1 (was Re: Request: difftime method for cut())

Gustaf Rydevik gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 19:33:57 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Gustaf Rydevik
<gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The recent change in 2.11 that made as.numeric() return false on
> difftime-objects broke some of my code that calculated age classes of
> individuals using cut(). While this was no big thing to fix for me, it
> might be wise
> to provide a cut.difftime method to  stop other old code from breaking.
> I'm guessing something as simple as
>
> cut.difftime<-function(x,...){
> x<-as.numeric(x)
> cut(x,...)
> }
>
> would suffice.
>
> best regards,
> Gustaf

As a followup, the change in how to treat difftime objects break even
more of my old code in a different project, since I'm used to treating
difftime as numeric in regressions and other analysis.
 And the error messages  become *very* obscure, I.e "Error: NA/NaN/Inf
in foreign function call (arg 2)" when applying loess to a difftime
object. Tracking down the source of those errors become quite a
nuisance.
I suppose there's no chance of reversing the change, but I'd
appreciate if someone could tell me the reason for introducing it so
abrubtly.

I'm cc'ing this to R-help, since there's probably more people than me
that will be bitten by this in the future when looking into old
projects.

Regards,
Gustaf Rydevik.

--