[R] Wilcoxon signed rank test and its requirements

Atte Tenkanen attenka at utu.fi
Thu Jun 24 03:58:07 CEST 2010

Thanks. What I have had to ask is that

how do you test that the data is symmetric enough?
If it is not, is it ok to use some data transformation?

"The Wilcoxon signed rank test does not assume that the data are sampled from a Gaussian distribution. However it does assume that the data are distributed symmetrically around the median. If the distribution is asymmetrical, the P value will not tell you much about whether the median is different than the hypothetical value."