[R] Wilcoxon signed rank test and its requirements

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 13:13:19 CEST 2010

One way of looking at it is doing a sign test after substraction of
the mean. For symmetrical data sets, E[X-mean(X)] = 0, so you expect
to have about as many values above as below zero. There is a sign test
somewhere in one of the packages, but it's easily done using the
binom.test as well :

> set.seed(12345)
> x1 <- rnorm(100)
> x2 <- rpois(100,2)

>  binom.test((sum(x1-mean(x1)>0)),length(x1))

        Exact binomial test

data:  (sum(x1 - mean(x1) > 0)) and length(x1)
number of successes = 56, number of trials = 100, p-value = 0.2713
alternative hypothesis: true probability of success is not equal to 0.5
95 percent confidence interval:
 0.4571875 0.6591640
sample estimates:
probability of success
                  0.56

>  binom.test((sum(x2-mean(x2)>0)),length(x2))

        Exact binomial test

data:  (sum(x2 - mean(x2) > 0)) and length(x2)
number of successes = 37, number of trials = 100, p-value = 0.01203
alternative hypothesis: true probability of success is not equal to 0.5
95 percent confidence interval:
 0.2755666 0.4723516
sample estimates:
probability of success