[R] Wilcoxon signed rank test and its requirements

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 00:17:49 CEST 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 6:09 PM, Joris Meys wrote:

> I do agree that one should not trust solely on sources like wikipedia
> and graphpad, although they contain a lot of valuable information.
>
> This said, it is not too difficult to illustrate why, in the case of
> the one-sample signed rank test,

That is a key point. I was assuming that you were using the paired
sample version of the WSRT and I may have been misleading the OP. For
the one-sample situation, the assumption of symmetry is needed but for
the paired sampling version of the test, the location shift becomes
the tested hypothesis, and no assumptions about the form of the
hypothesis are made except that they be the same. Any consideration of
median or mean (which will be the same in the case of symmetric
distributions) gets lost in the paired test case.

--
David.