[R] Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) muenchen at utk.edu
Fri Jun 25 14:38:58 CEST 2010

Hi Liviu,

E-mail was the thing that got me back to this paper. I had been working on variations of measures for several years & was frustrated mostly by how many problems I ran into regarding search logic ("SAS" stands for about 15 scientific topics and of course "R" is far worse). I have all my listserv email routed to a set of folders which I always empty at the same time. I noticed that recently R-Help had really taken off and that Statalist had surpassed SAS-L. So I got the latest monthly data from the listservs and switched the program from doing yearly counts to means of the monthly figures so I could add 2010 to it. Figure 1 at  http://r4stats.com/popularity is indeed the number of emails send by each of the listservs. All these measures have their own limitations, but I find that graph the most interesting since it includes the trends across time.

Cheers,
Bob