[R] Fast and simple tool for re-sampling of asynchronous time series ?

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Fri Jun 25 18:28:22 CEST 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, bruno Piguet wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I'm looking for a function which could do some fast and simple
> re-sampling of asynchronous time series.
>
>   Below is a MCE of the kind of algorithm I need. As you can see, it's
> quite crude, but it's enough for my current needs.  The only problem is that
> it is quite slow on real use case.
>   I've got a C version which is much faster, but I'd like to have a pure-R
> program.
>
>   Any pointer to the relevant part of the doc one one of the time-series
> packages ? Any suggestion or advice ?
>
>   Thanks in advance,
>
> B. Piguet.
>
> Here is the exemple :
> Tx <- seq(1, 50, 0.5)
> Tx <- Tx + rnorm(length(Tx), 0, 0.1)
> X <- sin(Tx/10.0) +  sin(Tx/5.0) + rnorm(length(Tx), 0, 0.1)
> Ty <- seq(1, 50, 0.3333)
> Ty <- Ty + rnorm(length(Ty), 0, 0.02)
> Y <- sin(Ty/10.0) + sin(Ty/5.0) + rnorm(length(Ty), 0, 0.1)
>
> w <- 0.25

Personally, I'd incline towards leaving the next lines to C, perhaps using
the inline package.

But if you want a purely R solution, the bioConductor IRanges package
should help. I think the viewMeans() function will handle this loop.

See

 	http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.sequencing/1296

for some discussion.

HTH,