[R] how to group a large list of strings into categories based on string similarity?

G FANG fanggangsw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 20:42:30 CEST 2010

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I tried the process you suggested as below, it worked, but in a
different way that I planned.

library(Biostrings)
x <- c("ACTCCCGCCGTTCGCGCGCAGCATGATCCTG",
      "ACTCCCGCCGTTCGCGCGCNNNNNNNNNNNN",
      "CAGGATCATGCTGCGCGCGAACGGCGGGAGT",
      "CAGGATCATGCTGCGCGCGAANNNNNNNNNN",
      "NCAGGATCATGCTGCGCGCGAANNNNNNNNN",
      "CAGGATCATGCTGCGCGCGNNNNNNNNNNNN",
      "NNNCAGGATCATGCTGCGCGCGAANNNNNNN")
names(x) <- seq_along(x)
dna <- DNAStringSet(x)
while (!all(width(dna) == width(dna <- trimLRPatterns("N", "N", dna)))) {}
names(dna)[order(dna)[rank(dna, ties.method="min")]]

The output is,
"1" "2" "3" "4" "4" "6" "4", this is the right answer after trimining
N's, i.e. without considering N, which strings are the same.

But actually, the match I planned is position-to-position match, i.e.
1st and 2nd strings are the same except for the N's

So, the expected output is 1 1 2 2 3 2 4

Please advice.

Thanks!

--gang

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fhcrc.org> wrote:
> On 06/23/2010 07:46 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:
>> On 06/23/2010 06:55 PM, G FANG wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to group a large list (20 million) of strings into categories
>>> based on string similarity?
>>>
>>> The specific problem is: given a list of DNA sequence as below
>>>
>>> ACTCCCGCCGTTCGCGCGCAGCATGATCCTG
>>> ACTCCCGCCGTTCGCGCGCNNNNNNNNNNNN
>>> CAGGATCATGCTGCGCGCGAACGGCGGGAGT
>>> CAGGATCATGCTGCGCGCGAANNNNNNNNNN