[R] Calculating Summaries for each level of a Categorical variable

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Jun 28 19:23:33 CEST 2010

The problem is that tapply is expecting a vector for the first argument, your first argument is a list or data frame, so the length that it sees is the number of list elements (columns of the data frame).  You need to either pass a single vector, or use functions like aggregate or the plyr package to work on all the columns in a data frame.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org