[R] Exponential Smoothing: Forecast package

Stephan Kolassa Stephan.Kolassa at gmx.de
Mon Jun 28 21:17:50 CEST 2010

Hi Phani,

to get the best Holt's model, I would simply wrap a suitable function
calling ets() within optim() and optimize for alpha and beta - the
values given by ets() without constraints would probably be good
starting values, but you had better start the optimization with a
variety of starting values to make sure you don't end up in a local minimum.

I know of no comparison just between Holt and Brown - but you could use
the above methods and the M3 Competition dataset (in Mcomp) to look how
the two methods compare on a (more or less) benchmark dataset.

HTH
Stephan