[R] Use of processor by R 32bit on a 64bit machine

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 15:30:28 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I've recently purchased a new 64bit system with an intel i7 quadcore
processor. As I understood (maybe wrongly) that to date the 32bit
version of R is more stable than the 64bit, I installed the 32bit
version and am happily using it ever since. Now I'm running a whole
lot of models, which goes smoothly, and I thought out of curiosity to
check how much processor I'm using. I would have thought I used 25%
(being one core), as on my old dual core R uses 50% of the total
processor capacity. Funny, it turns out that R is currently using only
12-13% of my cpu, which is about half of what I expected.

Did I miss something somewhere? Should I change some settings? I'm
running on a Windows 7 enterprise. I looked around already, but I have
the feeling I overlooked something.

Cheers
Joris

sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252    LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C                           LC_TIME=English_United
States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] grDevices datasets  splines   graphics  stats     tcltk     utils
   methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] svSocket_0.9-48 TinnR_1.0.3     R2HTML_2.0.0    Hmisc_3.7-0
survival_2.35-7

[1] cluster_1.12.3 grid_2.10.1    lattice_0.18-3 svMisc_0.9-57  tools_2.10.1

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Ghent University