[R] Finding Lower Envelope of Points on a Plot?

Stephan Kolassa Stephan.Kolassa at gmx.de
Wed Jun 30 21:51:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

one possibility would be to calculate the convex hull using chull(). I
believe that the hull points are returned by chull() in a clockwise
order (?), so the points between the rightmost and the leftmost point in
the chull() result are the lower half of the convex hull. Remove these
points from the original dataset (a variant of "peeling convex hulls")
and iterate until you have removed your prespecified percentage of
points - these all lie outside of the final lower hull (though the
percentage will, of course, only be approximated, but you should be able
to modify this to taste).

HTH
Stephan