[R] Finding Lower Envelope of Points on a Plot?

Stephan Kolassa Stephan.Kolassa at gmx.de
Wed Jun 30 22:17:57 CEST 2010

Hi,

To be honest, what you mean by "a (linear) lower envelope" becomes less
and less clear to me. Take any cloud of 2-d points. The convex hull
consists of a number of these points - or alternatively, of a number of
line segments between successive ones of these points. Thus, every one
of these segments defined by a pair of points on the bottom half of the
convex hull would, if prolonged to infinity, define a line with all your
points  in the half-space above the line, which sounds a lot like what
you seem to look for - in which case, "the" lower envelope would not be
well-defined.

Or does your cloud of points have two points A and B such that all
points are to the right of A and to the left of B and above the line AB?
In this case, you could call the segment AB "the lower envelope" in your
sense, but finding such A and B (if they exist) is trivial: look for the
leftmost point, if there are multiple ones of these, take the bottom
one, that's A, and the same for B.

Life would be easier for us if you provided a small reproducible example
and told us what you expect the result to be.

HTH
Stephan