[R] two questions for R beginners

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon Mar 1 13:40:09 CET 2010

Jack Siegrist wrote:
> My biggest impediment, as a scientist without previous programming
> experience, is that the R help is not beginner-friendly. I think it is
> probably great for experienced programmers and for the people who helped to
> create the software, to help them  remember what they did, but I think it is
> very difficult for a newcomer without a strong programming background to
> learn about a new function or to discover the name of a function that you
> are pretty sure should already exist. Maybe this wouldn’t matter for most
> programming languages, but as free statistics software R is obviously going
> to attract many scientists who want to get an analysis done and have varying
> levels of experience with programming.

Hi Jack,

A problem more or less is that the R community consists primarily of
volunteers. People who answer questions to the help list in their spare
time or during company time. This also holds for many of the online
material. A program like Mathematica has a company providing the online
material, they hire people to do this work. I don't use this as an
excuse for R, but it might explain why the R community is what it is.

experts answering the questions can be blunt, but most often it is in
response to questions that are very hard to answer. As I said earlier in
this mail thread, asking the right question already involves some of the
knowledge to answer the question. So to get good, informative responses
a user needs some level already.

I do want to point out that there is a posting guide for the mailing
list that gives a quite detailed instructions, like give the exact error
(don't just say, R crashes). Provide traceback() and sessionInfo() etc,
etc. And a lot of posters do not adhere to these rules.

cheers,
Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra