[R] Gradient Boosting Trees with correlated predictors in gbm

Max Kuhn mxkuhn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 18:01:53 CET 2010

In theory, the choice between two perfectly correlated predictors is
random. Therefore, the importance should be "diluted" by half.
However, this is implementation dependent.

For example, run this:

  set.seed(1)
  n <- 100
  p <- 10

  data <- as.data.frame(matrix(rnorm(n*(p-1)), nrow = n))
  data$dup <- data[, p-1]

  data$y <- 2 + 4 * data$dup - 2 * data$dup^2 + rnorm(n)

  data <- data[, sample(1:ncol(data))]

  str(data)

  library(gbm)
  fit <- gbm(y~., data = data,
             distribution = "gaussian",
             interaction.depth = 10,
             n.trees = 100,
             verbose = FALSE)
  summary(fit)

For gbm, the importance of two perfectly correlated predictors is
undiluted for the first one it finds (which is the dup variable under
this seed) and zero for the other. Change the random seed or the
column order and your results may vary.

For randomForests, it generally cuts the importance in half:

   library(randomForest)

   fit2 <- randomForest(y~., data = data, importance = TRUE)
   importance(fit2)

This is an extreme case (they are perfectly correlated) but
illustrates the theoretical and implementation issues.

Max

Max