[R] repeated measures anova, car package

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Mar 2 03:52:39 CET 2010

Dear Kay,

In this case, the repeated-measures ANOVA is equivalent to analyzing the sum and difference of the two measures on cover. If you really want to test for the difference between the two levels of cover in each level of site, then the paired t-tests are perfectly reasonable. You could also these test hypotheses this using the car functions, e.g., by fitting the model mod <-  lm(cbind(cover1, cover2) ~ site - 1, data=Data), which would fit a means model for site rather than use an intercept and dummy-coded contrast. Then you can use the linear.hypothesis() function to test each of the two hypotheses -- e.g., linear.hypothesis(mod, "siteA", P=matrix(c(1, -1)). I'm making up the level name for site (A) and the names of the repeated-measures variables (cover1, cover2) because you didn't say what they are.

Because there's just one between-subjects factor, there's no distinction between type-II and -III tests, as you would have discovered had you tried both.

I hope this helps,
 John