[R] Smoothing Spline Basis Matrix

pinkdd rubyrd2008 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 21:26:30 CET 2010

Thank you. D Sonderegger.
Did you mean use

bs <- bs(X, knots = spl$fit$knot)
H <- predict(bs, X)

Then H should be the matrix for the original data under the smoothing spline
basis?
However, another problem arises, since I need to use H to estimate the
coefficient beta, which involves (H'H)^{-1}. But my matrix (H'H) is
singular, which might be caused by the duplicated data in X. Do you know how
to fix this problem?

Thanks!