[R] turn character string into unevaluated R object

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 2 23:59:22 CET 2010

On 02/03/2010 5:42 PM, carol white wrote:
> Hi,
> How to turn a character string into an unevaluated R object? I want to load some files in a directory into data matrix R objects. I could do this with read.table and assign (see below). Then, I want to turn the character string representing a file name (the evaluated expression of i) into an unevaluated R object. Basically, I want to create matrices whose names are the same as the related file names.

I don't understand what you mean by an "unevaluated R object".  The code
you give below looks as though it would do the rest of what you
describe; what goes wrong with it?

> Chees,
>
> Carol
> suppose I have
>
> mat1, mat2, mat3 files
>
> v = list.files(".", all.files = F, pattern = "mat")
>  for (i in v)
> 	 assign(i, read.table(i, sep = "\t"), pos = 1)

I would leave off "pos = 1" here, though it should be harmless.  It will
only make a difference if you execute this code inside a function or
other local environment.

Duncan Murdoch