[R] Output to sequentially numbered files... also, ideas for running R on Xgrid

JWC joe.w.cross at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 23:26:19 CET 2010

Hello,

I have some code to run on an XGrid cluster.  Currently the code is written
as a single, large job... this is no good for trying to run in parallel.  To
break it up I have basically taken out the highest level for-loop and am
planning on batch-running many jobs, each one representing an instance of
the removed loop.

However, when it comes to output I am stuck.  Previously the output was an
array of [x, y, i] dimensions.  The removed for-loop ran through i, each
iteration filling a x-y slice of the output array.  Now the function returns
a single xy matrix for a supplied, single value of i.

Is there a way to output to sequentially numbered csv files such that they
can be reconstituted into the [x, y, i] array?

I have tried:

write(x, file=get("n"))

Where n is the value of i the function is running for.

But I get the error:

'file' must be a character string or connection

Is there a way of writing out to a csv file numbered with the value of a
variable?

Also, is this a very complicated way of parallelising this function?

Many thanks,

Joe