[R] R help unavailable

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Mar 3 12:58:59 CET 2010

On 03/03/2010 6:39 AM, mauede at alice.it wrote:
> I have recently replaced R-2.9.0 with R-2.10.1 Patched. Apparently the installation completed successfully
> but right now I realized that the on-line help does not work any more.
> When I type "?<R-command>" a message pops up warning that "Help will not be available. Path not found" ... regardless of the R-command.
> How can I get back R on-line man pages ?

You could switch to text-based help by editing RHOME/etc/Rprofile.site
or your personal Rprofile, but you probably want to fix the bigger
problem, which is that your system can't open the URLs that R is giving
it.  Can you open any URL?  E.g. does
browseURL("http://www.r-project.org")  open that web page?  If not, the
problem is that your system doesn't know how to open a browser.

Duncan Murdoch