[R] help R IRT simulation

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Mar 3 18:16:46 CET 2010

The simRasch function in MiscPsycho package simulates person abilities using N(mu, sigma^2) and items from U(-x,x), which is not what you're asking for. But, I also am not sure how you would manipulate the other moments. However, item parameters tend not to be normally distributed in operational testing programs, so I am curious why one would do so.

Also, Rasch people really don't like to assume persons abilities are normally distributed. The JML procedures makes no assumptions about the shape of either distribution (persons, items) and MML procedures for Rasch tend to use non-parametric methods so you don't have assume an N(0, sigma^2) for the population distribution.

Of course, you can use N(0, sigma^2) for the population distribution for rasch in an MML procedure (or you can also use N(0,1) if you estimate a common slope), but the rasch community tends to not prefer this approach.