[R] two questions for R beginners

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Mar 3 19:15:55 CET 2010

If R made
   matrix$columnName
mean the same as
   matrix[, "columnName"]
(a vector) so matrices looked more like data.frames,
would we also want the following to work
as they do with data.frames?
   with(matrix, log(columnName)) # log of that column as a vector
   matrix["columnName"] # 1-column matrix
   matrix[["columnName"]] # vector equivalent of that 1-column matrix
   lm(responseColumn~predictorColumn, data=matrix)
   eval(quote(columnName), envir=matrix)
The last 2 bump into the rule allowing envir to be
a frame number (since a 1x1 matrix is currently taken
as the frame number now).

Perhaps the print methods for data.frame and matrix
should announce the class of the object being printed.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com