[R] Output from test script during R CMD check

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Mar 4 00:36:59 CET 2010

On 03/03/2010 5:25 PM, DarioAustralia wrote:
> Ah yes sorry about that it was a vague posting.
>
> What I'd like to see when I do a R CMD check on the package and it gets to
> the part where it runs the test script, I'd like to show to the user on the
> screen the progress of the testing. What happens now is none of the
> cat("Test X was successful. \n") statements that I have within the .R file
> go to the screen. I did a search of the filesystem for a .Rout file that
> maybe it was sending this output to, with the same filename as my test
> script, but there isn't any. So I don't think R CMD BATCH is redirecting
> this output to anywhere that I don't want it to go. Which means I'm lost to
> where the output is actually going and how do I get it back onto the screen
> ?

If you run R CMD check mypkg, then you'll get a subdirectory created
called mypkg.Rcheck.  If your package has tests, this subdir will itself
have a tests subdir, and that will contain a .Rout file for your tests.

One way to monitor the tests would be to run them in the background and
watch that file using "tail -f" (if you have tail, or can get it).

Duncan Murdoch