[R] Three most useful R package

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Thu Mar 4 16:44:29 CET 2010

Hi all,

1) I mostly use the base packages. But if I should decide for three
others, it would be
- plyr: I've just started to use it in some specific cases, but it seems
really powerful and practical
- doBy is also quite good but I use only one function from it
(summaryBy). For now I have what I need, but it might prove useful later
- xlsReadWrite: it's fast and good.

2) I've serach a lot recently to read/write xls files. As you can guess,
I've ended up using xlsReadWrite which is really intuitive to use. The
problem is that you cannot append (neither append lines on the same
sheet nor append other sheets on the same files). RODBC can append
sheets on a file, but it is not as flexible.
Since I often want to export results from tests that are stored as lists
of differing size (different number of columns AND rows), I'm still
stuck with write.csv().

So I would like to have the both appending options (i.e. line + sheets)
in a package as easy to use as xlsReadWrite. Basically xlsReadWritePro,
but for free (am I asking too much?).

Thanks for asking!
Regards,
Ivan