[R] Analogue to SPSS regression commands ENTER and REMOVE in R?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 17:29:10 CET 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Dimitri Liakhovitski wrote:

> I am not sure if this question has been asked before - but is there a
> procedure in R (in lm or glm?) that is equivalent to ENTER and REMOVE
> regression commands in SPSS?
> Thanks a lot!

I haven't used SPSS for 25 years (excluding a brief session where I
talked an inexperienced SPSS user through creating a multi-way table
of mortality ratios a couple of years ago) but my memory is that those
operations drop or add terms to a model formula and produced
voluminous paper output as a result. Looking at the "lm" function help
page, I guessed that I might find more information at the anova.lm
help page and sure enough, there at the bottom of the page was
"drop1". My vague memory that there was a matching "add1" was rewarded
with confirmation when I followed the "drop1" link.

I generally just make another call to lm().

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories