[R] Improved Nelder-Mead algorithm and Matlab's fminsearch. Was: Hi

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Mar 5 16:21:38 CET 2010

The `fminsearch' in Matlab uses a version of the Nelder-Mead simplex search algorithm, which is a derivative-free search technique.  The Nelder-Mead is also the default algorithm in optim().  Therefore, you can simply call optim() to get your job done.  However, I would like to mentiion that the Nelder-Mead implementation in optim() is not the best, and I have had others (who use Matlab) tell me that `fminsearch' generally performs better than optim's Nelder-Mead.  I have written an improved version of Nelder-Mead that performs better than optim's Nelder-Mead.  Iwill soon release it as a package (I have been saying this for several months now!), but I can send it to you if you are interested.

Hope this helps,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,