[R] Nonparametric generalization of ANOVA

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 5 21:27:10 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
<ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Matthew Dowle <mdowle at mdowle.plus.com> wrote:
>> As far as I know you are wrong that there is no moderator.  There are in
>> fact an uncountable number of people who are empowered to moderate i.e. all
>> of us. In other words its up to the responders to moderate.  The posting
>
> I think moderator is being used in the sense of a person who receives
> posts before they become public and allows or disallows each post.
> Using that definition there is no moderator.

Not quite.  Postings from those subscribed to the list, with one
exception, are passed to the list without being held for moderator
approval.  Postings from those not subscribed are held for moderator
approval.

The one exception is Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> who, a few months
ago, flooded the list with queries not unlike those from ol' Blue Sky
and was sufficiently argumentative that he even wore down the patience
of Martin Maechler.  As a result, he was sanctioned by having his
postings held for moderator approval.  This is not a terrible sanction
because there are many people who can approve postings so this is done
fairly rapidly.

(By the way, I say "he" and "his" because the .ut in the email address
leads me to believe that the email belongs to this person,
www.cerc.utexas.edu/~yupeng/, who seems recently to have developed an
interest in Statistics and Bioinformatics.)

If you look at the history of postings by Peng Yu and by Blue Sky you
will see that the postings by Blue Sky started around the time that
Peng Yu was sanctioned. Indeed the headers from some of the early
postings indicate that they were posted on behalf of the email address
pengu.ut at gmail.com (although current postings do not).

Unfortunately email lists like R-help are, like any public resource,
subject to the "Tragedy of the commons" phenomenon
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons).