[R] test question, variance

SquareAce squareace at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 21:05:06 CET 2010

Can someone get me going in the right direction with this test question? We
have went as far as t.test in our class, but not to power or anova yet. I
have pasted the question and a summary of the dataset "gpa".

5. Given that all the GPA data in this dataset is comprised of means, would
you expect the underlying dataset of students’ individual GPA to be more
variable or less variable than this dataset as measured by the variance?
Explain. (5 points)

here is the summary of gpa:
> summary(gpa)
       school        GPA        gender classification semester
 Business :32   Min.   :2.200   f:80   fresh :40      fa04:40
 Education:32   1st Qu.:2.590   m:80   junior:40      fa05:40
 Liberal  :32   Median :2.790          senior:40      sp05:40
 Nursing  :32   Mean   :2.775          soph  :40      su05:40
 Sciences :32   3rd Qu.:2.922
                Max.   :3.640