[R] questions about "Cusum"

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu.ac.at
Sun Mar 7 14:57:17 CET 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, sdzhangping wrote:

> Dear friends:
>   I have just read an article entitled " Monitoring of nosocomial invasive aspergillosis and early evidence of an outbreak using cumulative sum tests (CUSUM)", which is published in "Clinical Microbiology and Infection". We have great need to estimate the fluctuation of incidence of IFI in our hospital. But I don't know the details of the stastical method and don't know where can I get a "Cusum" package. Can you  give me some materials about Cusum test? An example is more appreciated.

There are many techniques with the label CUSUM and I didn't look up what
the specific meaning is in the article you cite. There are tests based on
(mostly linear) regression models with that label, many (but not all
conceivable) of these are implemented in the "strucchange" package. See
   vignette("strucchange-intro", package = "strucchange")
as well as
   citation("strucchange")
for pointers to papers explaining the ideas behind it. But beyond that
there are also other techniques, in particular from statistical process
control. See the "spc", "qcc", "IQCC" packages among others.

hth,