[R] scientific (statistical) foundation for Y-RANDOMIZATION in regression analysis

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Mar 8 15:44:38 CET 2010

That sounds like a particular form of permutation test.  If the
"scrambling" is replaced by sampling with replacement (i.e., some data
points can be sampled more than once while others can be left out),
that's the simple (or nonparametric) bootstrap.  The goal is to generate
the distribution of the statistic of interest (R^2 or q^2) under the
null hypothesis that there's no relationship between the activity (or
property) and the structure.

To make the "test" valid, one needs to ensure that the entire model
building process is carried through for all of the sampled data,
including feature selections, etc.

Andy

From: Damjan Krstajic