[R] using sprintf to pass a variable to a RMySQL query

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 8 21:02:50 CET 2010

I always use paste()

i <- 1
sqlcmd_ScaffLen <- paste("SELECT scaffold.length
FROM scaffold, scaffold2contig, contig2read
WHERE scaffold.scaffold_id=scaffold2contig.scaffold_id AND
scaffold2contig.contig_id=contig2read.contig_id AND
contig2read.read_id LIKE '%MG", i ,"%'", sep='')

That should create bits like
    LIKE '%MG1%'
    LIKE '%MG2%'
and so on.

You just have to get the nesting of the single and double quotes
correct - the SQL requires single quotes, so use double quotes for
the fixed character strings insidte paste(). That, and use sep='' to
get rid of unwanted space characters.

Using paste is also effective for constructs like
   IN (3,4,5)
or
though it can be necessary to nest one paste within another

-Don