[R] Help! I turned my data into junk!

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Mar 9 10:56:03 CET 2010

On 03/09/2010 01:49 PM, Brienne wrote:

> I posted my data for a midterm into notepad and it turned into symbols.  The
> other bit I posted turned out just fine, but for some reason this one messed
> up.  I need this stuff for a class.  Anyone know how to get my data back.
> Please help soon!
Hi Brienne,
As far as I am aware, you can't "post" something into Notepad. You can
open a file, and it almost always has to be a text file, otherwise you
will see a mess of symbols. My guess is that you were supplied with a
data file for an assignment, and when you opened it in Notepad, it was a
mess. As Ravi noted, you can often work out what application to use by
looking at the extension (the part of the filename after the last
period). So .xls or .xlsx is for Excel, .doc or .docx is for Word, and
.mdb is for Access. I'm pretty sure that you will find that one of these
applications is the one you want.

Jim